On this day we at SMFA acknowledge the vital role midwives have in providing midwifery care, keeping women safe and supporting women by providing respectful maternity care.
In the Year of the Nurse and Midwife, it is time to agree there is no safe comprehensive maternity care without midwives. We draw to your attention the research evidence that midwifery continuity of care results in outstanding clinical, financial and consumer satisfaction outcomes that benefit families and the community.
Given the benefits to women:
- Why in Australia do less than 10 per cent of women have access to excellence in maternity care through midwife-led continuity of care?
- Why in Australia do we limit the midwifery scope of practice? WHO advises that 87% of maternity care can be provided by midwives, when educated to international standards.
Midwifery care would be available to more women if there was political will to address funding mechanisms through Medicare reform, enable midwives to be part of a national indemnity scheme and reduce restrictive trade practices prevalent in maternity care.
We look forward to the day when all pregnant women will receive respectful maternity care and have the choice to have midwife-led continuity of care – where the midwife is the lead professional starting from the initial booking appointment, up to and including the early days of parenting.
- The Cochrane Review recommends Midwife-led continuity of care – where the midwife is the lead professional starting from the initial booking appointment, up to and including the early days of parenting https://www.cochrane.org/CD004667/PREG_midwife-led-continuity-models-care-compared-other-models-care-women-during-pregnancy-birth-and-early
- The World Health Organisation – The case for midwifery; https://www.who.int/maternal_child_adolescent/topics/quality-of-care/midwifery/case-for-midwifery/en/
- The Lancet Midwifery Series https://www.thelancet.com/series/midwifery
@SMFA_au @SafeMotherhoodForAll #SafeMotherhood4All #RespectfulMaternityCare #MaternalHealthMatters #pregnancy #motherhood