It has been a busy year. We are pleased with out progress, though there is still much to do.
- Presentation on the results of the Women’s Experience of Birth in Australia – The Birth Dignity Survey Report 2017 – Listening to Women – at the 9th Annual Obstetric Malpractice Conference, 8-9th August 2017.
- Contributed to the Having a Baby in Canberra website. The Respectful Maternity Care Charter and Choosing a Health Professional guidelines.
- SMFA attended the Federal Labor’s Status of Women Committee national conversation on gender equality – Setting the Agenda and raised transitioning to mothering as a road block on the path to gender equity.
- SMFA presented on Respectful Maternity Care at the Having a Baby in Canberra Expo.
- SMFA is an invited member of the National Strategic Approach to Maternity Services Advisory Group –representing the Members Safe Motherhood for All Inc.
- We submitted a submission – Respectful Maternity Care – to the consultation to inform the National Strategic Approach to Maternity Services. The submission was provided to Commonwealth Health Minister, Commonwealth Shadow Health Minister, Commonwealth Department of Health, and provided on the Safe Motherhood for All Inc. webpage.
- We met with Gai Brodtmann as part of the Equality Rights: Alliance Day of Delegation where we explored homelessness for women and the impact on women and children’s health and well-being.
- We continued to raise awareness of safe motherhood and respectful care in social media.
- We establishment a project working group to progress communities supporting women and families. The current body of work under development with Canberra Mothercraft Society is a workshop on achieving the best birth.
Thank you to all members who have contributed done during the year.
A financial statement for the period 1 July 2017 to 30 June 2018. The balance of funds available as at 30 June 2018 was $2,273.32.